The 30 Best Space Themed Movies Ever 📽
Movies From Out Of This World!
Space Movies have the ability to transport audiences to distant places and reveal the awesomeness of Space! Whether they are dramas, comedies, space-themed series (such as the Star Wars and Star Trek movies) or cool animated films! Here you’ll find some of the BEST SPACE MOVIES EVER so you don’t have to search yourself – Enjoy!
30 Of The Best Space Movies! (In No Particular Order)
- Le Voyage dans La Lune (A Trip to the Moon) (1902) – French silent film, inspired by Jules Verne’s novels From the Earth to the Moon.
- Armageddon (1998) - When an asteroid threatens to collide with Earth, NASA sends some oil drillers into space to drill into the asteroid and detonate a nuclear bomb!
- Apollo 13 (1995) - Based on the perilous voyage of the Apollo 13 moon mission.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) – The epic science-fiction film following the voyage to Jupiter with the sentient computer Hal after the discovery of a mysterious black monolith affecting human evolution.
- 2010: The Year We Make Contact (1985) - Sequel to the Stanley Kubrick epic 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- The Martian (2015) - A brilliantly realistic film that follows an astronaut who is mistakenly presumed dead and left behind on Mars, his struggles to survive and others' efforts to rescue him.
- Gravity (2013) - The award-winning film about two American astronauts that are stranded in space after the mid-orbit destruction of their space shuttle, and their subsequent attempt to return to Earth.
- Mars Attacks! (1996) – Strange comedy about when Earth is invaded by Martians with unbeatable weapons and a cruel sense of humour.
- WALL-E (2008) - In the distant future, a small waste-collecting robot inadvertently embarks on a space journey that will ultimately decide the fate of mankind.
- Star Wars Series - A collection of 9 movies which follows the battle between the Empire and Jedi in a time long ago.
- Star Trek Series - An American science fiction television series that follows the adventures of the starship USS Enterprise and its crew.
- Lost in Space (1998) - The Robinson family was going into space to fight for a chance for humanity. Now they are fighting to live long enough to find a way home.
- Galaxy Quest (1999) - The cast of a TV series are mistaken for actual heroes and are abducted to save both the Alien race and Earth’s!
- The Right Stuff (1983) - A very cool space movie about the story of the original Mercury 7 astronauts and their macho, seat-of-the-pants approach to the space program.
- Interstellar (2014) - A team of explorers travel through a wormhole in space in an attempt to ensure humanity's survival.
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005) - A comedy science-fiction film about journeyman Arthur Dent who is rescued seconds before the Earth is to be demolished by an alien construction crew and swept away on to a fantastic journey of the galaxy!
- Deep Impact (1998) - A movie about the very real threat that large asteroids and comets pose to Earth. Can the comet be destroyed before colliding with Earth, who will survive?
- Contact (1997) - After years of searching, a scientist finds conclusive radio proof of extraterrestrial intelligence, sending plans for a mysterious machine.
- Spaceballs (1987) – A comedy about when Lord Dark Helmet plans to steal Planet Druidia's abundant supply of air to replenish their own, and only Lone Starr can stop them.
- Europa Report (2013) – An international crew of astronauts undertakes a privately funded mission to search for life on Jupiter's fourth largest moon.
- Passengers (2016) – A spacecraft travelling to a distant colony has a malfunction in its sleep chambers resulting in two passengers being awakened 90 years early.
- Arrival (2016) - When twelve mysterious spacecraft appear around the world, a linguistics professor is tasked with interpreting the language of the apparent alien visitors before it’s too late.
- Independence Day (1996) - The aliens are coming and their goal is to invade and destroy Earth. Fighting superior technology, mankind's best weapon is the will to survive.
- Men In Black (1997) - A police officer joins a secret organization that polices and monitors extraterrestrial interactions on Earth.
- E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) -
- Moon (2009) – An astronaut working on the Moon mining resources for Earth, has as a stark realization towards the end of his 3-year work hitch.
- The Iron Giant (1999) - A young boy befriends a giant robot from outer space that a paranoid government agent wants to destroy.
- Space Camp (1986) - The young attendees of a space camp find themselves in space for real when their shuttle is accidentally launched into orbit.
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - After an accidental encounter with otherworldly vessels, an ordinary man follows a series of psychic clues to the first scheduled meeting between representatives of Earth and visitors from the cosmos.
- Space Cowboys (2000) - When a retired engineer is called upon to rescue a failing satellite, he insists that his equally old teammates accompany him into space.